Pumpkin Loaf Cake and Frosting
by Updated April 19, 2018,
Use canned pumpkin or fresh mashed cooked pumpkin in this pumpkin cake recipe. This recipe makes one loaf of pumpkin cake with creamy frosting, perfect size for most families.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs and continue beating until well blended. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; blend well with a whisk or spoon.
- Add about one-third of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture; mix well. Stir in milk. Add remaining sifted ingredients alternately with the pumpkin purée.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the pumpkin cake for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto cake rack.
- When cool, frost with Creamy Frosting, below.
* To make pumpkin purée, cut pumpkin in half, crosswise. Remove seeds and membranes. Place on a greased baking sheet, cut side down, and bake at 325° for 1 hour, or until tender. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove pulp and place in blender or processor. Purée or process until smooth. Place in a cheesecloth-lined mesh strainer or sieve and let drain into a bowl for about an hour. When dripping has stopped, spoon the puree into a container, cover, and refrigerate if not using right away.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter; blend in half of the confectioners' sugar. Mix in milk and vanilla, then add remaining sugar and beat until smooth.
- Enough to frost a loaf cake.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
More Pumpkin Dessert Recipes
Pumpkin Bars with Pecans
Back to the Cakes and Desserts Index