Devil's Food Cake With Chocolate Frosting
by , Updated April 16, 2017
This chocolate cake is made with cocoa and buttermilk or sour milk, and it's frosted with a delicious chocolate butter frosting.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the 3/4 butter with the granulated sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla, beating for about 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup of cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir or whisk to blend. Add to creamed mixture, alternating with buttermilk or sour milk, beating well after each addition. Add boiling water abd beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter into two greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans; remove to racks to cool completely. Frost with chocolate fudge frosting.
- Melt 1/3 cup of butter in a small saucepan over low heat; stir in 1/3 cup of cocoa. Heat just until mixture begins to bubble, stirring constantly until smooth. Pour into a small mixing bowl. Cool completely.
- Beat the powdered sugar into the cocoa mixture, alternating with milk. Beat to spreading consistency. Blend in 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Makes about 2 cups of chocolate fudge frosting.