by Updated April 16, 2017,
This old-fashioned chocolate fudge is made with cocoa and vanilla, and walnuts are toasted before adding to the fudge.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
*To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350° oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Or, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.
- In a heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium heat combine sugar, cocoa, milk, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue cooking without stirring until mixture reaches 235 F on a candy thermometer, or until it reaches soft ball stage.**
- Remove from heat; add the butter and vanilla but do not stir. Let stand to cool for about 1 hour, until mixture comes to room temperature.
- With a wooden spoon, beat until fudge thickens and loses its gloss.
- Stir in toasted walnuts and spoon into a buttered 8-inch square pan.
- Cool completely then cut into 1-inch squares.
- Makes about 64 pieces.
**To Test for Soft Ball Stage
A small amount of syrup dropped into chilled water forms a ball, but is soft enough to flatten when picked up with fingers (234° to 240°).
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
More Fudge Recipes
Chocolate Fudge II
Cream Candy with Raisins
Sour Cream Fudge Recipe