German Chocolate Cake
by , Updated April 16, 2017
This is a delicious sour cream German chocolate cake with coconut pecan topping and filling.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch square baking pans.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, butter, sour cream, eggs, chocolate, milk, and vanilla. Beat with mixer at low speed until blended. Increase mixer to high and beat 2 minutes longer. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove to racks to cool completely.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring evaporated milk, brown sugar, and butter to a full boil; remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- When cake is cool, place one layer on cake platter; spoon half of the coconut mixture onto the layer. Top with remaining cake layer and top with remaining topping.