Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
by Updated April 16, 2017,
These are classic cabbage rolls. The cabbage leaves are stuffed with ground beef, rice, and a flavorful tomato sauce. Serve with mashed potatoes for a fabulous family meal.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hour
Total Time: 3 hour 25 minutes
- Remove about 15 large leaves from the cabbage; cut off very thick part of each leaf. Pour boiling water over the cabbage to wilt the leaves.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine ground chuck with the rice, grated onion, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place a mound of meat mixture in cupped part of each softened cabbage leaf. Fold over sides of cabbage leaf; roll up.
- In bottom of a large casserole or Dutch oven, place a few of the remaining leaves.
- Arrange layers of cabbage rolls, seam side down, and sliced onions in a Dutch oven or large casserole.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, tomatoes, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour the mixture over the cabbage rolls.
- Bring to a boil on stovetop. Sprinkle with brown sugar, to taste.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 2 hours longer.
Calories per serving: 243
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef
Scalloped Cabbage Deluxe