by Updated April 16, 2017,
Swedish meatballs are flavorful, made with ground beef, onions, seasonings, and a white sauce mixture. Serve Swedish meatballs with cooked buttered noodles or rice for a fabulous everyday family dinner.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Stir together egg, 3/4 cup milk, and bread; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Beat bread and milk mixture with a fork; stir in 1 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, nutmeg, onions, and ground beef.
- In a skillet, saute the sliced onions in hot oil until onions are golden and tender; remove onions with slotted spoon.
- Shape meatballs into balls with help from a teaspoon; drop into the hot skillet. Brown quickly on all sides and then remove to a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet and then place the pan back on heat. Stir flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper into the hot fat; stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk, cooking and stirring until thickened.
- Pour over meatballs then top casserole with sautéed onion slices. Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and hot.
Calories per serving: 326
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Swedish Meatballs With Sour Cream
Saucy Spiced Meatballs