Chocolate Mud Pie
by , Updated April 11, 2017
This is a no-bake chocolate pie with a toasted coconut and vanilla wafer pie shell and whipped cream topping. Allow plenty of time for chilling the pie before serving.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
Whipped Cream Topping
*To toast coconut in the oven, spread coconut on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 325 F, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, using hands, combine toasted coconut, cookie crumbs, and 1/2 cup of the butter until well blended. Press mixture into a buttered 9-inch pie pan; form a small edge. Cover and chill thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Let mixture boil, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in rum and remaining 1/4 cup butter.
- Pour into prepared chilled pie crust.
- Refrigerate pie for 2 hours, until set.
- Serve with whipped cream topping, below.
- Whip cream until almost stiff.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until cream holds peaks.
- Spread over top of cooled pie or use as a dessert or shortcake topping.