Easy Skillet Chicken with Red Wine
by , Updated April 10, 2017
This easy skillet chicken, a Coq au Vin, is a wonderful combination of bacon, chicken, mushrooms, garlic, wine, and herbs.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: About 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon and set aside.
- To the bacon drippings in skillet add butter; brown chicken slowly (medium low to medium heat) until all sides are golden brown.
- Add the 3/4 cup of chopped onion and the mushrooms; saute until tender. Add green onion and garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat; blend in the flour then gradually add the wine. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Add parsley and thyme. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juices run clear.
- Serve with a garnish or parsley, if desired.
Serves 4.Calories per serving: 507