Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce
by , Updated April 10, 2017
The rich buttery, lemony hollandaise sauce makes a wonderful sauce for fresh cooked asparagus. For a lighter dish, use a little melted butter or fresh shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese and skip the hollandaise.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Break off tough ends of stalks then use a vegetable peeler to peel tough skin from lower part of stalks and remove scales. Rinse well.
- Place stalks in a deep large skillet. Add 1 inch boiling water to skillet and add the salt. Bring to a boil and boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes. cover, simmer 7 minutes longer.
- With tongs, remove asparagus to a heated serving dish.
- Serve with Hollandaise sauce or melted butter and Parmesan cheese,
- Heat butter in a heavy saucepan until hot and foamy, but not browned.
- In a small bowl, whisk or beat egg yolks with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper or hot sauce. Gradually beat in butter, then water.
- Return mixture to saucepan and beat over very low heat until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Serve immediately or let stand over warm water for up to 30 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley before serving. Makes about 2/3 cup of hollandaise sauce.
Serves 6Calories per serving: 193