Sour Cream Layer Cake
by , Updated April 10, 2017
This sour cream cake is a spiced layer cake with pecans, or make cupcakes with the batter. Frost this cake with a cream cheese frosting or a caramel frosting, or use your favorite vanilla frosting.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 38 minutes
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Into a bowl sift together the sifted flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Cream shortening; add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Add vinegar and sour cream mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with dry ingredients; beat until smooth then fold in the chopped pecans.
- Turn batter into two greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pans or muffin tins lined with paper liners for cup cakes.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes for layers; 20 to 25 minutes for cup cakes.
- Cool and frost with your favorite frosting.