by Updated April 10, 2017,
Frost this chiffon cake with your favorite frosting or dust with powdered sugar and serve with fruit.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 Minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Into a mixing bowl, sift together the sifted flour, salt, baking powder, and the 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Add the oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla, and lemon peel to dry ingredients; beat with spoon until batter is smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beet the eeg whites and cream of tartar until egg whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks with beaters are lilfted. Add the 6 tablespoons of sugar gradually, beating until all sugar is used and peaks are stiff when beaters are lifted.
- Pour the batter, a little at a time, over the beaten egg whites and sugar. Gently fold in with a rubber spatula or spoon. Continue until all of the batter has been added, blending well. Batter should be smooth.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake cake at 325 F for 55 minutes. Increase heat to 350 F and continue to bake 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- The cake can be baked in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan at 350 F for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven. Invert pan and let cool for about an hour.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Daffodil Cake Recipe
Moist Vanilla Cupcakes
Blueberry Bundt Cake
Apple Upside-Down Cake