Updated April 10, 2017
This is a classic gingerbread cookie recipe, cut out with your favorite cookie cutters. You can purchase icing to pipe on the cookies if you want to make them a little easier.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Vanilla Icing or Glaze
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- In mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and smooth. Blend in egg.
- Sift together the flour, salt, soda, and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses.
- Stir in oats. Chill dough for 2 hours.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to about 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut with floured cutters; place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool then decorate with powdered sugar frosting (use your favorite or the recipe provided), raisins, and cinnamon candies.
Makes about 2 dozen gingerbread men.For Icing:
- Combine all icing ingredients in small mixing bowl. Stir until smooth and well blended.
- Adjust for spreading consistency if necessary, adding more milk or more powdered sugar.
- Spread icing or drizzle on warm cookies or pound cake.