Maple Walnut Cake
by , Updated April 9, 2017
Use pure maple syrup in this maple cake recipe. The darkest or robust grades usually stronger in flavor.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Cream butter and sugar; beat in maple syrup. Add vanilla and eggs, beating until mixture is smooth.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to first mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- In a saucepan, cook 1 cup maple syrup until a soft ball forms when a small amount is dropped in cold water (about 234 F to 236 F).
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed, but mixture is not dry.
- Slowly drizzle the syrup into the beaten egg whites, beating all the while.
- Blend in 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt. Beat until frosting is desired consistency.