Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
by Updated April 8, 2017,
This tasty eggplant Parmesan is a classic, topped with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Serve this eggplant with hot cooked spaghetti or linguini for a fabulous meal.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil; add onions and garlic and saute over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and yellow. Stir in parsley, salt, pepper, and tomato sauce; simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the eggplant and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices; brush each slice with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- In a bowl, beat egg slightly; whisk in milk and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Dust each slice of eggplant with flour, patting then shaking to remove excess flour.
- Dip the eggplant slices into the egg and milk mixture; drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Fry eggplant slices, turning to brown both sides, adding more oil as needed, until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant slices, using more oil as needed.
- In a 2-quart baking dish, layer sauce, browned eggplant, and mozzarella, topping layers off with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
More Eggplant Recipes
Eggplant Skillet with Ground Beef