by , Updated April 7, 2017
Chicken enchiladas are a big favorite in our family, and this is quite a tasty recipe. If you like more heat, add some chopped jalapeno chile peppers to the mixture along with the milder peppers.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- In a skillet heat oil and saute the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chiles, oregano, salt, and sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the sauce with the chicken and set aside.
- Bring remaining sauce just to a boil.
- Place a tortilla in sauce to soften. Remove, letting excess sauce drip back into skillet.
- Place tortilla in greased 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan and place 2 tablespoons chicken mixture down center of tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in corner of the dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas then pour remaining sauce over tortillas.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve chicken enchiladas with dollops of sour cream garnished with sliced olives.
Calories per serving: 465