Spaghetti and Cheese Casserole
by Updated April 6, 2017,
A rich cheese sauce makes this pasta casserole extra special. Use spaghetti, linguini, or bucatini in this casserole.
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°. Lightly butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish or spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. I used butter flavored spray.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Blend in the flour until smooth and bubbly. Cook, stirring, for 1 minutes. Stir in the mustard, salt, and black pepper. Add the cayenne, if using. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Reserve about one-third of the cheddar cheese and 3 tablespoons of the Pecorino Romano for topping. Add the remaining cheese to the sauce mixture and cook, stirring, just until cheese has melted.
- Combine the cheese sauce and the hot drained pasta.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the reserved cheddar and Romano or Parmesan cheese over the pasta mixture.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the soft bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the cheese layer. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serves 6 to 8
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Macaroni and Cheese With White Cheddar and Fontina Cheeses
Ham and Asparagus With Fettuccine
Spaghetti With Mushrooms, Bacon, and Parmesan Cheese