Chicken Pie with Biscuit Crust
by , Updated April 2, 2017
This chicken pie is packed with flavor, with a rich chicken and vegetable filling and biscuit dough cut-out topping.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Filling: Biscuit Crust: Egg Wash
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- In a saucepan bring broth to a boil. Add carrots, potatoes, and celery, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl, reserving the broth, and add the cooked diced chicken to the bowl.
- In another saucepan, cook the onion in the 6 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat, stirring, until softened. Add 6 tablespoons of flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 3 cups of broth in a stream, whisking constantly. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking. Add the thyme and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in nutmeg, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and veggetables. Stir the mixture gently, until it is just combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart baking dish.
- Into a bowl, sift together the 1 1/3 cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the 2 tablespoons of chilled butter and shortening and blend the mixture until it resembles meal. Add the cheese and toss.
- Break egg into a measuring cup and add buttermilk to it so that the total volume is 1/2 cup. Beat with a fork. Add to the flour mixture, stirring until the mixture just forms dough. Gather dough into a ball and, on a floured surface, pat it out 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut as many rounds as possible using a 2-inch fluted biscuit cutter, dipped in flour. Gather the scraps and pat and cut again. Work the dough as little as possible.
- Arrange the biscuit rounds on the chicken mixture.
- Beat the egg yolk with the milk and brush the tops of the biscuits with the wash. Prick biscuits lightly with a fork.
- Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 15 to 25 minutes, or until biscuits are puffed and golden, and the filling is bubbling.
Serves 6Calories per serving: 540
Fat per serving: 26.3g
Chicken and Turkey Recipes Index