by , Updated April 1, 2017
These parmigiana style burgers are delicious with hot cooked spaghetti or linguini and a tossed salad.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Lightly grease a shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a deep bowl, combine green onions, basil, parsley, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, pepper, and 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Stir in 1 egg white. Add the ground beef and mix well. Shape into 6 patties.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining egg whites with water.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs on a piece of wax paper.
- Dip patties in egg white mixture and thoroughly coat with bread crumbs.
- Place in prepared pan and bake until coating is crisp and lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spoon 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce over each patty.
- Place one slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each patty and return to oven.
- Bake until sauce begins to bubble and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to platter and serve.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Turn heat to low; add onion and carrot. Cook, stirring constantly, until soft but not brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, and basil. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover pan, and let sauce rest for at least 1 hour before using.