Beef and Zucchini Casserole
by , Updated April 1, 2017
This zucchini and ground beef casserole is layered like lasagna, with ground beef and rice, zucchini, and ricotta cheese.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Toss zucchini with 1 teaspoon salt and let stand 20 minutes; drain.
- Place half of the zucchini in a buttered 2-quart casserole.
- Heat oil in skillet; saute onion and garlic until tender; add ground beef and cook until the beef is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat; add oregano, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste. Stir in rice and tomato sauce.
- Spread the ground beef and rice mixture over zucchini in casserole.
- Combine ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and egg; spoon over meat mixture.
- Top with remaining zucchini and sprinkle with remining cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
Serves 6Calories per serving: 445
Fat per serving: 18.3g