Tuna Casserole with Macaroni
by , Updated March 31, 2017
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Cook macaroni until tender; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add chopped onions and bell pepper and saute over low heat for about 2 to 3 minutes, until onion is tender. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir until smooth. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk and cream of celery soup to the roux mixture and stir over low heat until smooth and thickened.
- Add the cooked macaroni, flaked tuna, peas and half of the cheese to sauce mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture into 2-quart buttered casserole; top with remaining cheese then buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tuna casserole is nicely browned.
- Serves 4 to 6.