- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream shortening and peanut butter; add sugar and brown sugar. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir to blend. Gradually add the flour mixture to creamed mixture, blending thoroughly.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls; roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on ungreased or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately place unwrapped Kiss on top of each cookie, pressing down so that cookie cracks around the edge.
- Remove from cookie sheet; cool. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.