Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
by , Updated March 30, 2017
This macaroni and cheese is enhanced, both nutritionally and flavor-wise, with fresh or frozen broccoli. The Gruyere cheese is great, but feel free to replace it with Swiss cheese or use more cheddar cheese.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- In a medium saucepan, cook macaroni according to package directions, until slightly firm. Drain well.
- Cook the broccoli following package directions, on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, stirring for about 1 minute, until smooth and bubbly. Gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly until thickened, about 3 minutes, remove from heat.
- Reserve 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and stir remaining cheddar, Gruyere, Parmesan, salt, and cayenne into sauce until cheeses melt. Add macaroni and broccoli to sauce. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with reserved cheddar and bread crumbs. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, until lightly browned and bubbly.
Serves 4 to 6Calories per serving (based on 6 sersvings): 415
Fat per serving (based on 6 sersvings): 20.5g