Baked Eggplant with Ground Beef (Moussaka)
by , Updated March 29, 2017
This is a big batch eggplant and ground beef casserole, enough to take to a potluck dinner.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Slice eggplant and sprinkle with salt; set aside for 15 to 20 minutes. Peel and slice the potatoes. Pat the eggplant slices with paper towels to dry.
- Brown eggplant and potato slices in olive oil. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and saute the onion and ground beef until browned; add parsley and tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Dust a greased 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan with breadcrumbs. Place a layer of potatoes, eggplant, and meat mixture in pan. Repeat layers, ending with eggplant.
- Combine remaining butter and flour; cook over low heat, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk to flour mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat until hot and thickened.
- Beat egg yolks; pour about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Add the egg yolk mixture to the sauce mixture, whisking constantly. Add the cheese and nutmeg to the sauce.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into sauce.
- Pour sauce over the casserole.
- Bake at 350 F for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
Serves 8Calories per serving: 370
Fat per serving: 16.1g