Updated June 5, 2017 by
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder. With a pastry blender, a fork or your fingers, gradually work in the lard or shortening until it is evenly incorporated. Add enough warm water to make a soft but not sticky dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3-ounce portions (about 1/4 cup each) and form them into balls.
- Roll each ball into a flat round about 6 inches in diameter and 1/8 inches thick.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Place the tortillas one at a time into the dry hot skillet; cook until brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side.
- Remove from the skillet and keep warm in cloth towel.
Makes about 18Calories per serving: 127
Fat per serving: 3.1g