Sweet Potato Biscuits
Updated June 5, 2017 by
- In a medium saucepan, cook the whole sweet potato in boiling (unsalted) water until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 20 minutes. Let the sweet potato cool, then pare it and mash until smooth. You should have about 1 cup mashed sweet potato. Let the cooking water cool to warm (105 F or less).
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 F.
- In a medium saucepan, stir the mashed sweet potato with the melted butter until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in the milk, sugar, and egg. Sift the cake and all-purpose flours, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl, and then stir into the liquids to combine. Knead briefly in the bowl to form a soft dough.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Using a 2 1/2- to 3-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits. Gather up the scraps, reroll (gently), and repeat the procedure until 12 biscuits are cut out.
- Transfer the biscuits to an ungreased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Serves 12Calories per serving: 188
Fat per serving: 6.7g