Barley and Mushroom Pilaf
Updated June 4, 2017 by
- Cook barley according to package directions until tender.
- Meanwhile, wash mushrooms and shake or pat dry.
- Heat olive oil in a wide skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and let them cook as you mince garlic; add garlic to skillet.
- Slice mushrooms thinly and, when nuts are nicely toasted add mushrooms. Increase heat to high. Add spinach, dill, salt, and up to 1 ts pepper. Stir. Cook until mushrooms are softened and somewhat shrunken.
- The barley should have cooked dry and be tender but chewy. If it tastes done but still has water around it, drain excess water.
- Mix barley with spinach mixture and half the cheese.
- Serve on plates or platter, topped with remaining cheese.
- Serve with applesauce and garlic toast or hard rolls.
Adapted from "Express Lane Cookbook",as printed in the Visalia Times-Delta, October, 1995. From Kakeladi.
Bean Recipes Index