Hoppin' John Recipe
Updated June 5, 2017 by
This dish is typically served on New Year's Day to bring luck.Ingredients:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add the field peas to the pot; stir to combine. Add 2 1/2 cups water, the salt and the pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and the sprig of thyme; stir once. Bring back to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes and then remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Uncover, taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
6 ServingsAdapted from a recipe by A. Yonkers, cooking teacher Calories per serving: 240
Bean Recipes Index