Updated June 4, 2017 by
This recipe for meatballs has become one of our holiday favorites. Make these spiced meatballs for a party or potluck event.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- In a large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the milk; let stand a few minutes until milk is absorbed. Add the beef, pork, 1 teaspoon salt, allspice, ginger, onion, and egg and mix until blended.
- Shape mixture into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan and add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Drop the meatballs into the water and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, broth, and melted butter; stir and heat until the brown sugar is dissolved to form a glaze.
- Drain the meatballs and place in a single layer in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan. Spoon the glaze over the meatballs and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, turning the meatballs by shaking the pan after each 10 minutes of baking.
- Recipe adapted from the recipe Mormors Meatballs, "Christmas Memories with Recipes" (Beatrice Ojakangas)
Makes about 36 meatballs.